Military service credit legislation amending Article 20 of the Retirement and Social Security Law was signed into law on May 31, 2016. The law removes the requirement that an NYSLRS member must have served during specific periods of hostilities in order to purchase military service credit under Article 20 of the Retirement and Social Security Law. Previously, only NYSLRS members who served in certain conflicts, including World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, were able to purchase service credit.
Under the new law (Chapter 41, Laws of 2016), eligible NYSLRS members may buy up to three years of their military service as long as they:
- Have at least five years of creditable service in NYSLRS (other than their military service);
- Have been honorably discharged from active military service; and
- Have not received credit for this service in any other public retirement system in New York State.
What Will Military Service Credit Cost?
There is a cost for this service credit. If you work full-time, here’s how you can estimate the cost:
- Tiers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5: The cost will be 3 percent of the compensation you earned during the 12 months of credited service immediately prior to our receipt of your request, times the number of years of military service being claimed.
- Tier 6: The cost will be 6 percent of the compensation you earned during the 12 months of credited service immediately prior to our receipt of your request, times the number of years of military service being claimed.
How to Apply for Military Service Credit
To apply and request a cost of for military service credit:
- Scan and email your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty papers (DD-214) to email@example.com and include your name and contact information. You’ll receive an email acknowledging that we received your request;
- Fax your name, contact information and a copy of your DD-214 to 518-486-6405 or 518-402-7799;
- Mail your name, contact information and a copy of your DD-214 to:
Military Service Unit
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244-0001