The Great New York State Fair runs from August 25 through September 5 this year, and NYSLRS hopes to see you there.
Visit Our NYSLRS Booth
Our information representatives have been coming to the fairgrounds for almost 20 years. In recent years, they’ve helped more than 500 members and retirees a day with their retirement planning and pension benefit questions. One of the most common reasons NYSLRS members will stop at our booth is to get a benefit projection. A benefit projection gives you an estimate of what your pension benefit could be at retirement. You can also pick up retirement plan brochures, forms, or have a consultation with one of our information representatives.
You can find our booth in the Center of Progress Building, which is building six on the State Fair map. Once inside, you can find us against the wall on the east side. We’ll be across from the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) Unclaimed Funds booth.
Find Unclaimed Funds at the State Fair
OSC’s Office of Unclaimed Funds booth is another popular stop in the Center of Progress Building. An unclaimed fund is lost or forgotten money (for example, from old bank or insurance accounts) that has been turned over to the State. The Office of Unclaimed Funds is in charge of giving that money back to the correct owner. So far, the Office of Unclaimed Funds has returned more than $200 million in 2016.
Special State Fair Days
The State Fair is known for having special theme days. Here is this year’s schedule:
- Friday, August 26 – Law Enforcement Day
- Monday, August 29 – Senior Citizen’s Day
- Tuesday, August 30 – Fire & Rescue Day and Senior Citizen’s Day. This is also the day that Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli will be at the Fair. Comptroller DiNapoli manages NYSLRS and oversees the Common Retirement Fund.
- Wednesday, August 31 – Women’s Day
- Thursday, September 1 – Armed Forces Day
- Friday, September 2 – Student’s Day
No matter what day you attend, we hope you enjoy this 12-day celebration of New York.