NYSLRS Retirees at Home and Abroad

If you’re a current NYSLRS member, you’re a state or local employee who works within New York State. But once you retire, you can spend time in warmer climates or move closer to family.

From an economic standpoint, we’re fortunate to have 78 percent of NYSLRS retirees and beneficiaries stay in New York. As we’ve mentioned before in previous posts, NYSLRS retirees contribute to the New York economy in a big way:

  • $12 billion generated in economic activity
  • $1.6 billion paid in real property taxes
  • $514 million paid in state and local sales tax
  • 60,400 jobs created from local spending

However, we haven’t looked at the other 22 percent of our retirees and beneficiaries. If they aren’t living in New York, where have they gone?

NYSLRS Retirees in the United States

NYSLRS Retirees in US

We’d be lying if we said we were surprised that Florida is the state with the second highest number of NYSLRS retirees and beneficiaries. Florida is currently home to 35,014 NYSLRS retirees. (Keep in mind New York is home to 337,406.) And you can find many other retirees and beneficiaries all along the East Coast…

  • North Carolina: 8,190
  • New Jersey: 7,171
  • South Carolina: 5,105
  • Pennsylvania: 4,300
  • Virginia: 3,585

…the West Coast…

  • California: 2,226
  • Oregon: 284
  • Washington: 478

…and even as far as Alaska (currently 60) and Hawaii (116). All told, 429,591 NYSLRS retirees and beneficiaries live throughout the United States and its territories.

NYSLRS Retirees Around the Globe

Where in the world are NYSLRS Retirees?Out of our 430,308 total NYSLRS retirees and beneficiaries, there are only 717 globetrotters. These retirees and beneficiaries live throughout the world, with the most common countries being:

  • Canada: 164
  • Israel: 56
  • United Kingdom: 36
  • Italy: 31
  • Jamaica: 31

Whether you retire close to home or move away, you’ll always be a part of NYSLRS. Make sure you stay in the loop about your benefits by visiting our Retirees home page.

11 thoughts on “NYSLRS Retirees at Home and Abroad

  1. Rocco Rizzo

    Why can I no longer access my account online, while living overseas? I was able to do it in the past with a secure VPN connection, but no longer can. I used to work in IT, and internet security was one of my jobs. Please do not tell me that the reason is security. I also don’t understand why I can access my online Social Security account, but no longer can access my NY State retirement online account.

    1. NYSLRS Post author

      Unfortunately, Retirement Online is not accessible to customers outside of the United States and Canada.

      If you need to do business with NYSLRS, you can still email us using our secure contact form or download forms you may need from our website.

      If you need to change your address, you can send a letter with your old and new address to:

      110 State Street
      Albany, NY 12244-0001

  2. Pamela Ball

    How do I manage my retirment benefits if I live overseas ? I am due to collect and cannot even find a place to speak to someone about this process. Please advise ?

    1. NYSLRS

      To do business with NYSLRS from overseas, you can call our customer service representatives toll-free:1-866-805-0990 (long distance within the U.S., Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) or in the Albany area at 518-474-7736, or email them using our secure contact form. You can also download forms you may need from our website.

  3. Theresa Richey

    I’m a nys retiree and planning a trip this winter to Costa Rica. Due to COVID the country requires proof that you have health insurance to cover medical expenses if you contract COVID. Can you provide a certificate or statement so I wouldn’t have to pay for their health insurance.

    1. NYSLRS

      NYSLRS does not administer health insurance programs for its retirees, so we cannot provide proof of your coverage. For New York State retirees, the New York State Department of Civil Service administers the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP). To learn more, please visit the Department of Civil Service’s website at http://www.cs.ny.gov, call them at 1-800-833-4344 or 518-457-5754, or email them at pio@cs.ny.gov.

  4. rocrizzo

    How do I collect pension if I move overseas? I wonder if I have to maintain an account in the US, and make monthly transfers to an overseas bank, or if I can have pension deposited directly to overseas account.

    1. NYSLRS

      A retiree who is living overseas can always have their monthly pension payment mailed to them, but if they wish to get their check through direct deposit, they must have access to a bank that has branches in both the U.S. and the country they are living in.


Leave a Reply